Providing Children with a Head Start since 1965
Missouri Valley Community Action Agency has administered the Head Start Program since 1965. Since then, we have continued to provide high quality services to thousands of families and their children.
Head Start is a comprehensive child development program serving income eligible families with children ranging in age from infancy through five years of age.
The goal of the program is to help prepare young children to be successful in kindergarten and beyond, support healthy physical and social-emotional development, and to enhance a family’s ability to become more involved in their child’s development and education.
To start the application process, please click on the INTEREST FORM button.
Eligibility and Applications
Head Start is available to individuals meeting the income eligibility requirements as well as children in certain special circumstances, such as foster children, children with disabilities, and homeless families.
Applications for the program are accepted any time by contacting the Head Start center nearest you, the nearest Family Resource Center (FRC) or the MVCAA Central Office at 660.886.7476.
- Serve children with disabilities in an inclusive environment
- Preschool classes offered four hours per day, Monday through Thursday, September through May
- Breakfast and lunch provided daily and afternoon snacks for afternoon classes
- Educational activities that foster skill-building
- Classes that are staffed by qualified teachers and teachers’ assistants
- Social services, health, mental health and nutrition referrals
- Access to community resources
- Assistance with medical and dental health
- Transportation to Head Start classes for families within the center service area
- Parent and community involvement
- Family Literacy and High School Equivalency services (HiSet)
- Monthly family visits to assist families in setting goals and strategies to reach them and other means to help families move toward self-reliance
To learn more, contact your area Head Start center or call MVCAA at 660.886.7476.